A letter from CCI Action Board President Barb Kalbach
Our vision for changing “business as usual” politics starts and stops with people.
So when it comes to the question of which presidential candidate will challenge the political establishment and lift up our People and Planet First values, US Senator Bernie Sanders has proven himself to be a true peoples’ champion.
That’s why we are endorsing Bernie Sanders for President of the United States in 2016.
We made this decision after surveying our members and hearing overwhelming support for Sanders. And, Sen. Sanders was the only candidate to respond to our issue questionnaire and jump on a phone briefing with our CCI Action Fund Board.
Actions speak louder than words. Bernie Sanders is the only candidate with a proven track record on issues that are important to our members, like:
- Modeling the success of a people-powered and funded presidential campaign; he has refused a Super PAC, and is leading the charge to overturn Citizens United and get big money out of politics
- Standing up to Big Oil by opposing the Bakken Pipeline in Iowa, and championing climate justice in US Congress
- Pushing to bust up Big Bank, reinstate a modern day Glass-Steagall Act, and make corporations pay their fair share of taxes
- Fighting to expand Social Security, as well as increase access to health care through a “Medicare for all” single-payer system
- Calling for unity among people of all racial, religious, and economic backgrounds to combat racial injustice, as well as the racist rhetoric of the Republican Presidential candidates that seeks to divide working people
Yet, what’s most promising about Sanders’ candidacy is his courage in calling for a political revolution in the United States, and his understanding that no single candidate will solve the problems facing working people today.
We agree that in order to win on the issues that matter to us most, we need a movement of Iowans standing up, speaking out, engaged and active in their communities, and in the streets 365 days a year – not just at election time. We must build independent political power. It’s up to us to engage and deliver.
We hope you will join us by caucusing for Bernie Sanders. And, meet up with us as we join National Nurses United and other labor and community allies to take our political revolution on tour across Iowa from January 19 through caucus day February 1. We’ll organize rallies and events, hit the phones, and talk to our neighbors to fight for Bernie Sander’s nomination through the Iowa Caucuses.